WC Smith History

Our History

  • 1968
    William C. Smith Sr. founds William C Smith and Company in a two-room office at 927 15th Street.
  • 1971
    William C Smith and Company manages approximately 1700 residential units in DC
  • 1983
    Company buys and renovates the Tremont Plaza Hotel in Baltimore
  • 1986
    Chris Smith becomes Chairman and CEO of WC Smith.
  • 1992
    WC Smith begins a summer youth employment program, hiring students from WC Smith properties to participate in job training.
  • 1994
    WC Smith begins renovating Parklands, a 1500-unit complex in Southeast Washington
  • 2005
    WC Smith and partners construct THEARC (Town Hall Education Arts and Recreation Campus), a community cultural center on Mississippi Ave SE.
  • 2011
    WC Smith builds the mixed-income Sheridan Station development, the first multifamily building in DC to be awarded LEED platinum designation.
  • 2012
    With government agencies, WC Smith founds the Canal Park Development Association, builds Canal Park on a former school bus parking lot.
  • 2012
    WC Smith begins construction on Park Chelsea, a 432-unit luxury apartment building in the Capitol Riverfront
[gravityform id="3" title="false" description="false"]